Historic gold mining community, with 37 historic structures. Home of Esther Hobart Morris, first woman to hold elected office. All buildings restored to their turn-of-the-century appearance.
South Pass City’s first boom came in the summer of 1868. The discovery of the Cariso Lode, brought thousands of miners, merchants, & entrepreneurs. Over 2000 people called South Pass City home - for a little while. The boom at South Pass City was typical, it looked promising but faltered. When the “color” started to fade many South Pass City residents fled. However, a core of hangers-on continued to believe in SPC & worked hard to make ends meet through small mining operations, ranching, & timbering. These rugged individuals would see other booms & busts come & go but rarely faltered in their dedication.
In 1968, on the town’s centennial, a group of citizens purchased the site & donated it to the State of Wyoming. In 2003, The Wyoming State Legislature purchased the Carissa Mine, reuniting the town with its main economic engine. Today, South Pass City is an authentic glimpse at a community that survived the booms & busts of gold fever.